By Brooke Kamenoff
The Olympics are finally in full swing, which can only mean one thing: every publication (including fashion mags and blogs) are looking for their angle to get in on the action. With articles like Five Cute Not-So-Literal Sporty Outfits Inspired by the Olympics on Fashionista.com and even more related articles on Refinery29 and Women’s Wear Daily, it’s easy to see why usual fashion coverage has faded into the background. As always, we’re here to help with our Fashion Links of the Week!
1. Carine Roitfeld, past Editor-in-Chief of Vogue Paris, is launching CR Fashion Book in the coming months. With all the hype, it’s pretty clear why this first look from the issue became top fashion news this week. [First Look at CR Fashion Book: Women’s Wear Daily]
2. Into fashion documentaries? Be sure to check out About Face, a documentary profiling some of the first supermodels, on July 30th on HBO. [Timothy Greenfield-Sanders on About Face, His Tribute to the Seventies Supermodel: Style.com]
3. ‘Organic’ and ‘sustainable’ have quickly become two buzz words in the fashion industry. Of course, the way that brands choose to use these words is different across the board, which is why the Higg Index is trying to make it more black and white. [New Scoring System Tells Companies How Sustainable Their Clothes Really Are: Fashionista]
4. If you were a fan of MTV in the nineties, you might remember House of Style. The show, hosted in the past by models like Cindy Crawford and Bar Refaeli, goes behind-the-scenes with various brands, designers, and models to show the inner workings of the industry. Keep your eye out for the show, which will start October 9th on MTV’s digital platform. [MTV Revives Fashion Series ‘House of Style’: The Hollywood Reporter]
5. The Business of Fashion is not only a curator of content but this site also works to produce original articles, many of which give exciting insight into the crazy world of fashion. This week, the site goes into the digital vs. print debate with Paradis co-founders Thomas Lenthal and Jonathan Wingfield. [Op-Ed – What’s Fit for Print?: The Business of Fashion]
6. Have you been reading Fifty Shades of Grey? If so, you might also be slightly obsessed (or extremely annoyed) with these Marc New York ads inspired by the book. [Enough Already: Marc New York Ads Inspired by Fifty Shades of Grey: Refinery29]
7. After scouring the internet for top fashion links, it can be insanely difficult not to include something Olympics related. So, without further ado, here are photos of U.S. Olympic athletes showing their personal style. [Olympians Like Fashion, Too: The Athletes of Team USA Show Us Their Style: Fashionista]
8. Miss Dior can seem like the epitome of class, elegance, and style, which is why we completely love Mila Kunis in this teaser video for the eau de parfum. [Everyone Adores Mila Kunis In This Miss Dior Teaser (Including Us!): Refinery29]
Any links we missed? Post them in the comments!